Friday, March 23, 2007

'Circus'

23 March 2007


I had to disembark from the jeepney that carried me on my way to Avenue Square a while ago because of the heavy traffic that had prevented our vehicle from moving for a good deal of time already. I thought I could reach my destination quicker while afoot than staying inside waiting for the traffic to roll sensing that it was not an ordinary traffic jam that I usually run into along Magsaysay Avenue; one that usually does not take much time. Peering through the windshield, I could see more vehicles than I earlier suspected already trapped in an unsightly bumper-to-bumper situation down the road. There was also some noise ahead that's not common in the area. I knew there was 'something' out there.

As I approached Avenue Square, my hunch was confirmed. I moved past more jeepneys and trucks loaded with people wearing colorful shirts that bear the faces of people we also often see in the television these days (via their own advertisements which contents - and promises - are either too-good-to-be-true, too-'cute'-to-be-taken-seriously, or too-corny-to-be-even-watchable), on political posters and streamers that are all over us again, and in every possible medium assaulting our senses and well, I dare say, our sanities. The flags were up again, being waved relentlessly. There were a number of brass bands too atop trucks playing varied tunes aside from the already loud and annoying speakers playing some ubiquitous jingle and extolling candidates. Joining the spectacle were vehicles that were covered (or should I say vandalized?) with campaign posters and other materials. The huge number of people marching, cheering, and waving placards whom I encountered earlier at the city center leaped into mind. And then, I overheard a lady whom I passed by on the side of the road inquiring: "Haen si Cesar Montano?" (Where is Cesar Montano?).

And so, it is already here, I thought with a sigh.

The 'circus' has arrived in Naga City.

Kapit mga kapatid.

4 comments:

TIMCAP said...

Yeah, the circus has arrived Donald and I am waiting for the outstanding youth leaders of this country to take the center stage in denouncing this crazy system... anybody home? ... oh I thought i saw a picture of some great young leaders in front of Rizal's statue....

read my blog it's somehow related to yours...

tim

Ducks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ducks said...

I am not really sure what you specifically mean tim by "center stage", and definitely i could not speak for all of these "outstanding youth leaders" that you were talking about, however, to speak for myself, may I just say that I strongly believe that there are a lot of good things being done everyday by so many young people all over the country, in response, not just to that "crazy system" that you were referring to, but to a myriad of problems facing us today. Although some of them chose to do it with the spotlight on them, but Id like to believe that there are also a lot who chose to make a difference quietly (but sincerely)in their own special and even humble ways without us knowing it or being given the privilege anytime soon (or the supernatural power at that) to know all them. Some of them, better yet, may have even chosen the same path that you took (or WE TOOK for that matter) in this particular instance and that is blogging...

I suggest we don't wait for whoever they are, we act for ourselves in ways we know, we are probably most capable of, and we believe that are fair and lawful and that we know we could be more effectual.

We could mobilize people; we could write or, again, blog; we could teach; we could share; we could come up with a play or compose songs; we could lead a short prayer or an overnight vigil; we could argue or debate; we could even aspire and work on becoming a better member of our respective families, groups, or communities; we could even be, as the great Mahatma Gandhi had proposed, "the change we want to see in this world"; hell, some people may even choose to do a Ducat (although I do not subscribe to this). There are simply so many ways to skin a cat.

Ask no more bro ("anybody home?"), I believe there are A LOT OF OTHER YOUNG PEOPLE out there, "outstanding" or not, who are keeping our hopes and dreams of a better Philippines strong and alive, because otherwise, most probably, we are all doomed and gone by now.

Ducks said...

PS -- Read your blog bro. Good posts, as usual! Cheers!